Mental Health Nursing
The department Mental Health Nursing of at Rawal College of Nursing (RCoN) Mental Health Nursing follows the curriculum developed by Higher Education Commission, Pakistan & Pakistan Nursing Council that focuses on all aspects of care including Physical, psychological and emotional care. The faculty of the department is working relentlessly to equip the students with knowledge & skills to change the way people understand the relationship between body and brain. A vital part of this is learning from people living with mental health illnesses.
The department educates & trains the nursing students for performing specialist role for the mental health nurse as educator and researcher along with the nursing care provider to provide support for people living with acute and enduring conditions. We focus to develop skills in the students to combine research expertise, experience and patient values to provide excellent nursing care.
The Department of Mental Health Nursing has an ambition to respond to the growing needs within society concerning challenges to mental health, and the provision of mental health care.
Specific Competencies & Skills:
- Therapeutic nurse-patient relationship
- Nursing process
- Managing psychiatric emergencies
- Crisis intervention
- Legal and ethical aspects
- Psychiatric history collection
- Mental status examination
- Neurological examination
- Psychotropic drug administration
- Process recording
- Admission and discharge
- Observation of World Mental Health Day, World Suicide Prevention Day and World Alzheimer’s Day
- Outreach program/activity in the schools and community
- Conducting Psycho-education and interactive sessions for inpatients and family members
- Structured exercise program for rehabilitation center residents and inpatients of Psychiatry ward
- Workshop on prevention of self-harm for undergraduate students
- Conducting poster competitions